Sunday, August 26, 2012

King Tutankhamun

Seattle's Pacific Science Center

Nefertari

Wall of Hieroglyphics
Sphinx of Shabaqa


Pet Urns
Inner coffin for a wife of the first king

This summer Sean, Jade and me had the opportunity to visit the Seattle Science Center and explore the Great Pharaohs of Egypt. The experience was amazing and I hope it is one Jade will remember. I knew Jade would love to see it so I bought us tickets. The morning we were leaving, Sean hadn't realized that he was staying home with Vincent. Clearly, 3-year-olds shouldn't attend. Sean feeling left out, hinted to my MIL and she offered to watch him. When we got there, we were let in at 30 min intervals. We watched a neat little clip about the exhibit and then once in we were free to roam as we pleased through the exhibit. At first it seemed to be pretty overwhelming. But once my eyes adjusted to the darker setting, I was less overwhelmed. 

Canopic jar of Kiya
      I thought it was neat that we were able to see artifacts from several of the Pharaohs and learned a little about a lot. I also learned that there are two of these tours and the second one is in Asia. In a few short months, both will return to Egypt and at this time they are not anticipated to leave again. King Tut was very young when he became a King and we know little about why he died so young. In one of his rooms (his tomb had four rooms) was a box, and in that box was the remains of two still born children. I don't think he ever had children carried to term.
The big famous sarcophagus of King Tut that we all think of was not at this exhibit, but was is a little miniature exact sarcophagus that was used for his internal organs. I asked about this bigger one and was told that in the late 80's while on tour of of his many larger sarcophagus were damaged and since then   Egypt hasn't allowed them to leave. It was truly amazing and glad we took the opportunity to see it. I have remembered why I disliked posting pictures to this blog. The rest og the pictures of our trip can be viewed at our family picture site http://theyakimafarinas.shutterfly.com/ 










No comments: